Phonopore Telephones

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: A very early Type A , with Ader receivers and early Hunnings (?) transmitter. Photo courtesy Marco Laudani

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: New Phonopore Company Type A, probably late 1880s. This one has been refitted with WE receivers, and is numbered A120.

Right: New Phonopore Company Desk Phonopore Type A, late 1890s - 1914.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: Type EST, early 1900s from New Phonopore Co. It was designed to work across poor lines such as fencing wire "on Cattle Ranches, farms, etc" and ring on low currents. It is externally similar to the basic Type R that was used to form railway multi-point party lines by code ringing, and the Type A used mostly for point-to-point work. A cutdown version without the howler was the Type A Block Connector. This used the existing railways signalling circuits to signal a call.
Centre: Type N, with relay and trembler bell instead of Collier Marr howler. It could be used on a party line with code ringing or as an extension off the Type S switchboard.
Right: Type RR, central phone for main stations, for access to two Phonopore circuits. The receivers were tuned to different notes to signal which circuit was ringing in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: Type A, revised by Sterling, 1912 pattern. Note the smaller case and modified howler, which now uses the Resaphone .
Right: Type PET, linemans set. Type PR from 1912 was in a larger case and used a Kellogg handset.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: Type S "Selective Telephone" with pushbutton signalling for up to 12 phones. This phone needed a two wire circuit, but would only signal one phone at a time - this did away with the need to constantly monitor the code ringing in busy signalboxes. Unlike most Phonopores it was not intended to be superimposed across a telegraph line.
Centre: Ericsson's N1195
Right: Type VC, a standard CB wall phone built to a Kellogg design ,
Far Right: Siemens & Halske Model 4126

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left:: Australian Post Office's No. 41.

Right: Alternate APO rebuild, retaining many of the original Phonopore parts.

Photos courtesy Marco Laudani

 

 

 

 

 

 



The all-important Compensating and Carrier coils. Photo courtesy Marco Laudani

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: Collier-Marr howler. It was also offered by Phonopore as a dictation unit from the manager's office to a stenographer's desk.
Centre: Collier-Marr receiver, internal (Poole)
Right: Kellogg transmitter and receiver combined in Phonopore's Monophone. They stressed the hygiene benefits of this design - "the reports of eminent medical authorities all go to prove the necessity for the universal use of such an instrument as the Monophone as a preventative against the spread of tuberculosis and other kindred diseases". Photo courtesy of a South American collector

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Left: Kellogg transmitters
Right: Resaphone unit.

To Phonopore History

If you have reached this page through a Search Engine, this will take you to the front page of the website