Large Ericsson Wall Phones

Figs 1 and 2: Model AB500-505.
Early models had a fishtail base (at left) but this was replaced in 1903 with the rounded base (right). This phone has the earlier pulpit transmitters and OST receiver. A glass insert was available in the writing slope. 1894 to about 1911, but by 1902 the glass inserts had been discontinued. 770mm high. Old No. 320 with 4-magnet generator, No. 321 has a 5-magnet generator. They were listed in the catalogs as “for trunk line use”.

Fig 3: Model AB520.
This is an updated and less elaborate version of the model AB500, reflecting the trend to simplify designs to allow higher production figures. It has the later simplified crown and base and newer lightning arrestor, but in most other respects is identical. 1894-1911. 715mm high.

Fig 4: Model AB530-590
This model is called the “Commonwealth Ericsson” in Australia, “Scroll Top Ericsson” in New Zealand. 4 magnet generator; Model AB590 (old number 346) had a 5-magnet generator. British Model N2300. Late 1890s to 1935. Post-World War 1 production was made in oak and appears to have only been made in Britain. Old No. 345. Variations: Hook under writing slope for “bullring” receiver. Some were later fitted with a dial above the writing slope by the N.Z. Post Office. 715mm high. Internal lightning arrestor after 1927.

Fig 5: Model AB670-675 with round crown and cradle handset. British Model N2350. Old No. 360. It was used by the National Telephone Company of Britain and by the Australian Post Office. The terminals are behind the crown. Model AB361 is a three quarter size version with a 3-magnet generator, British Model N2270. Model AB250 had a spearpoint base. 715mm high.

Fig 6: Model AB650 Also a cradle handset style. 4-magnet generator. Old No. 350. 715mm high. Variations: Model AB670 was similar, with a rounded top (it may also be found with a Peel Conner transfer). Model AB655 / 656 has a 5-magnet generator.

Fig 7: Model AB510-515 , fitted with the unusual and scarce two-arm adjustable pulpit transmitter. The transmitter mount and the OST receiver mark this as a very early model. 760mm high. Model AB510/511 had a 4-magnet generator, Model 515 had 5 magnets.

Fig 8: British Post Office Tele No. 11 , a custom-built model. It was fitted with a long transmitter arm on rectangular mount in the Western Electric style, and an Ericsson drum transmitter, on what is otherwise a Model AB510. The Ericsson transmitter was often replaced with the later solid back transmitter.

Fig 9: Model AD200 is set up to handle an extension phone by push button signalling and a changeover switch at the top of the writing slope. Note the extra pair of lightning arrestor terminals. Other intercoms had similar fittings, and some also had a small round visual indicator under the crown to indicate that an incoming call had been received.

Fig 10: “Tucked” Ericsson. A very ugly Australian Post Office wartime expedient, used to recycle older phones with damaged cabinetwork. The bellset has been put inside the battery cover. PMG Type 127. An even more severely “tucked” model is known from Western Australia. This model has the battery cover removed as well and only the centre section of the phone is left.

Fig 11: Model AB330 Trunk line phone. This usually meant that the phone was designed to run on full metallic circuits rather than an earth return circuit. 5 magnet generator. Old No. 330. Note the elaborate early lightning arrestor. This is because the phone could also handle up to two extension phones.

Fig 12: This picture of an early “deluxe” Model AB530 shows a typical internal layout. The batteries are the early glass LeClanche-type wet cells, but were replaced by the safer dry cells which may be sometimes found still installed in a phone. The handset is the early model with the coarse flutes. Old No. 345.

Fig 13: Used in a number of Scandinavian countries. It was made by Emil Mollers in Denmark. They appear quite often in auctions in the US, so it is likely that a number were refurbished and sold off there. Variations: Many have a single bell instead of the bellset shown above. They have been noted with JYDSK and Fyns Kommunal Telefon transfers. Many have been fitted with Ericsson handsets.

Fig 14: This phone was built by Elektrisk Bureau of Norway for the Kristiana telephone company and uses marked LME parts (and an old Western Electric handset in this example). A number of examples of a side handset version have been found in Australia, as stock was imported here in times of shortage of Ericsson phones. Internally they may still have a small paper Kristiana sticker with a date around World War 1.

Fig. 15: From Tartu Telefoni in Estonia. Locally produced using many Ericsson parts.

Fig 16: Old No. 443 combined telephone and call box (public telephone). The bulge at the base is the coin holder. Approx 1896 to 1904. It was used in Britain by the National Telephone Company.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fig. 17: From Telefonfabriken, a local manufacturer in Denmark. This company had a close association with Ericssons and used many LME parts in their own phones.

Fig. 18: From Rikstelefon, another Danish company, about 1918.

Fig 19: From Telegrafverkets, Denmark. 1906.

Fig. 20: An unknown CB wall phone using Ericsson parts. Like so many of these phones, it is identified as an Ericsson, but is probably from a small local manufacturer in a middle European country or may even be a local emergency production to rebuild a phone from surplus parts.

Fig. 21: From Western Electric in Britain, early 1900s. They made a few models that were similar to Ericsson designs, and in some of the early versions used Ericsson parts until their own factory could take up the load.

 

To Intro

To QuickFind

If you have reached this page through a Search Engine, this will take you to the front page of the website